Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Mrs. Sippi

Woah, guys, sorry it's taken me so long to write this! It's now been a week and a half since I got back from Mississippi. It was SO HOT down there! Mostly because of the humidity... So besides the extreme heat, it was a really, really, good week. I could spend about 5 times the writing to talk about only bits and pieces of the week, so I'll just highlight my three favorite specific things of the week (in chronological order, not by favorite, because I'd be on here forever trying to decide what to put in what place).

1. Creative painting with Bethany. Bethany, my dad, me, and kind of my brother (he was only for a little while) spent Monday afternoon and Tuesday morning painting the future bunk houses. Pickle, a good friend of Katie's (from church), and also the woman in charge while we were down there, gave us permition to be creative. So that's excactly what we did. After running out of the blue paint we were using, we had to be creative and use some lighter blue paint to finish up the blue walls. We did that by making the lighter blue into "clouds". Observe:




Then on Tuesday morning, we painted the second bunk house:




Painting in those rooms was like being in a sauna, but once you got to the fun stuff, it made it all worth it. :)

2. Playing spoons. That was definately the most intese game of spoons I've ever played and I loved it! At one point we actually bent the leg of a metal chair... it was pretty crazy. The other group down there helping for the week from New York (the Bronx), came into the dining area (where we were playing) to have some ice cream and we got some pretty crazy looks from them. I wish I got some good pictures of that, but all of the pictures are of us before someone got four of a kind...

3. Spending Thursday afternoon talking with Jessie. Thursday morning I had been pretty useless, so at lunch, Jessie asked if I wanted to go to Pickle's house (which was the main project for the week) and help her mud/sand. We ended up spending more time talking than mudding/sanding. We spent a good portion of time just laying down upstairs or on the floor of the church. But it was such a good talk!! Well, talks. I got to know her SO much better. We talked about struggles, our pasts, relationships with family and friends, things we hoped for, and so much more!! There are some things that Jessie now knows that I'm pretty sure no other human on the planet knows about me. I am SO thankful for the huge blessing that she (well, and everyone else at our church) has been!!

(Our "matching" shirts... both green, same type of writing, same underlining thing...)



The Group

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for sharing about your trip...I love the pictures (put more up if you have them)!! I was praying for y'all during your trip, and it is so great to hear about it.

Jess said...

YEAH!