Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Me, My Cello, and Life in the Pit

My life since Saturday just seems to be music, music, music. Saturday was Solo & Ensemble (which I did get a 2 on, and at first was SUPER disappointed, but prayed about it a bit, and it was definitely a pride issue, once again), and then Sunday was the beginning of the end for the musical. I'm playing cello in pit orcestra for the musical at school. We're doing Crazy For You, and no, I had never heard of it, either. But I suppose it's claim to fame could be the song "I've Got Rhythm" in case you know that. Yep, that's from Crazy For You. WOO! It's actually kind of a weird musical and I'm not really sure that I'd recommend it. I don't fully understand the plot and there's some pretty sketchy outfits and lots of random unnecessary kissing. Such is the story of musicals, though, I suppose. Well, at least some of them. Most of my favorites (the really good ones, such as Fiddler on the Roof, My Fair Lady, Hello Dolly...) I guess don't have too much of that, but whatever. Anyways, the string music (or at least cello and violin) is crazy hard. The other cello player, Paula (who is a senior and I absolutely LOVE playing with her), and I sit there half the time not knowing where in the world we're supposed to be, and even when we do, there are certain measures that we just skip or pretend our way through it. Pretty fun stuff. So I've got practice every day after school (maybe with the exception of Friday?) from 3:00 until whenever we get done. It was originally supposed to be 4:00-6:00, but that got changed. Yesterday we went 3:30 to 7:30. Today was about 3:10 until 7:00. Things are starting to run more smoothly (THANK GOODNESS!! and especially since opening night is on FRIDAY!) and it's almost starting to be fun, now that we're getting a bit more comfortable with the music and aren't wanting to pull our hair out quite so much. Speaking of hair, though, Paula, my friend Rachel (who plays bass), the piano player (Alex, who is insanely good), and I are plotting to dye our hair temporarily black for the performances. We're temporarily "going emo" and I'm pretty excited for it. I've never seen my hair any other color than what it is right now, so we'll see how that goes. I'll maybe have to post pictures if we do end up doing it. :)

No comments: